What is a CGM?
A CGM (or continuous glucose monitor) is a monitor that allows you to measure blood sugar levels in real-time. Using a CGM makes it easy to track blood sugar at all hours. A traditional blood glucose meter gives you a single blood sugar reading for one point in time. A CGM, on the other hand, tells the story of your blood sugar levels as you move through your day and night. You’ll get a picture of how different things, like the food you eat and the meds you take, affect your levels. Having this constant feedback can help you make more informed decisions.
How does it work?
The CGM uses a tiny wire under the skin to measure sugar levels in tissue fluids (also called interstitial fluid). The wire is connected to a transmitter. The transmitter sends the information to your CGM or a smart device like a cell phone. Because it constantly monitors your blood sugar levels, you get 24/7 access to your numbers.
Reasons to try a CGM:
- Learn how different foods impact your blood sugar.
- Understand how activity impacts your blood sugar.
- Find out how much of the day your blood sugar is in range.
- Gain knowledge on what, besides food and exercise, impacts your blood sugar.
- Learn more about your overnight levels.
- Get alerts overnight when you’re trending toward a low.
- Uncover why your blood sugar is high when you wake up.
- Share information about your highs and lows with loved ones.
- Help your doctor or Livongo coach work with you to figure out what is going on with your blood sugar levels including adjusting medication and/or insulin, if necessary. 24/7 data can provide insights into what may be causing ups and downs.
Frequently asked questions about CGM
Q: Does Livongo provide CGMs for members?
A: Currently, Livongo does not provide CGMs for ongoing use to members. If you are interested in a CGM you should reach out to your healthcare team.
Q: What if I don’t want to be trained on another device?
A: The training is simple. There are step-by-step guides to help you set up your device from the comfort of your own home.
Q: Isn’t it stressful to watch my blood sugar change all day?
A: Your Livongo coach can help you know where to focus so that your CGM is a useful tool. With a little guidance, it’s not overwhelming.
Q: Will I feel like a failure if my numbers are “bad” all day?
A: There are no “good” or “bad” numbers. They are simply information. This knowledge can help guide your decisions over the course of the day.
Still unsure if the leap to a CGM is right for you? Schedule a session with a Livongo coach through your app today to learn more!