Work Your Midsection Without the Sit-Ups!
This bodyweight strength workout focuses on building core strength without any exercise equipment. Your core includes your abdominals, obliques, glutes, hips, and lower back. Rest as needed between exercises and sets. You should rest enough to catch your breath, but avoid sitting down for long periods of time. Try to remain moving, even just pacing around, during your rest period.
Exercise 1: Cat Cow
- Do 6-8 reps, then rest and repeat.
Exercise 2: Bird Dog
- Do 6-8 reps on each side, then rest and repeat.
Exercise 3: Reverse Plank
- Hold for 15-30 seconds, then rest and repeat.
Exercise 4: Plank With Alternating Leg Lifts
- Do 10-12 reps with each leg, then rest and repeat.
Exercise 5: Side Plank Hold
- Hold for 30-45 seconds on each side, then rest and repeat.
Exercise 6: Bridge With Alternating Leg Extension
- Do 10-12 on each leg, then rest and repeat.
Spend 2-5 minutes doing some light stretching.
Your core is your power center and you don’t need to do sit-ups to strengthen it. Come back to this routine to keep your midsection strong and stable.