Whether you are trying to lose weight or working to maintain weight loss, regularly stepping on your digital scale is one of the best things you can do to promote long-term success.
Weighing in 4 or more days per week can help improve weight loss. If that seems like too much, start with once a week. Consistency is key!
Stepping on the scale regularly can:
- Improve accountability and self-awareness.
- Provide a check-in on how well your healthy lifestyle plan is working.
- Empower you to make healthier choices in real time.
- Help prevent weight regain.
- Teach you about your body’s normal weight patterns.
- Take the stress out of deciding whether or not to weigh in each day.
- Help you stick with weigh-ins over the long term.
Are you seeing fluctuations when you weigh in? No problem.
- Small weight ups and downs are normal.
- Your weight can vary hourly based on many factors.
- Pick a specific time of day to weigh in. First thing in the morning is a good choice.
- Look at trends rather than worrying about small ups and downs.
The scale can be a helpful tool in reaching your personal health goals. But it should never define you. Don’t forget to look at other measures of success, too, like:
- Energy level
- Sleep quality
- How clothes fit
- Blood pressure
- Blood sugar
- Need for meds
- Activity level
When it comes to stepping on the scale, what works for one person may not be right for another. Find the approach that helps you reach your goals. If you are feeling anxious or stressed when it comes to weighing in, schedule a coaching session with one of our Livongo expert coaches. They will help you find the strategy that’s best for you.