Getting a good night’s sleep is as important to your health as regular exercise and eating healthy. And here’s what’s even more interesting: exercise and diet can actually help you sleep better. Give these food and lifestyle swaps a try for better ZZZZs — and better health.
- Swap lunch at your desk for a walk outside. Sunshine helps regulate your body’s internal clock so you fall asleep easier. It also increases your serotonin, which leads to healthier sleep.
- Swap your glass of wine or soft drink for a glass of sparkling water with tart cherry juice concentrate. Tart cherries contain melatonin, a hormone that helps regulate your sleep cycle.
- Swap your pork chop for a turkey burger at dinner. Turkey is one of the best natural sources of L-tryptophan, an amino acid that helps you sleep better.
- Swap your evening snack of walnuts for pumpkin seeds. Pumpkin seeds are an excellent source of magnesium, which may improve the quality of your sleep.
- Swap your evening decaf for some chamomile tea. Chamomile has an antioxidant that’s been shown to support a good night’s sleep.
- Swap your device or screen for a good book. Using gadgets close to bed can wreak havoc on your sleep. Reading a book is more likely to help improve your slumber.