Looking for ways to dress up that same old chicken breast? Add some Mediterranean flavor! This delicious recipe draws on Italian and Turkish styles for a healthy, satisfying meal.
TUSCAN-STYLE GRILLED CHICKEN KEBABS
Makes 4 servings
Prep: 35 min Cook: 25 min
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp fresh, chopped rosemary OR 1 tsp dried rosemary (crushed)
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 clove fresh garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp dried oregano (crumbled)
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb boneless, skinless, all visible fat removed chicken breasts, cut into 16 cubes
- 16 whole button or cremini mushrooms (about ½ oz each), ends trimmed
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 16 pieces
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- nonstick cooking spray
- ½ cup uncooked, instant brown rice
- 1 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes, cut into ¼-inch cubes
- In a medium bowl (glass, plastic, or ceramic, not metal), stir together the lemon zest, lime juice, rosemary, oil, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Add the uncooked chicken pieces. Stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes. The chicken can marinate for up to 8 hours for even more flavor. Turn several times if marinating for more than 30 minutes.
- Soak eight 8-inch wooden skewers for at least 10 minutes in cold water to keep them from charring, or use metal skewers. Preheat the grill on medium high.
- Drain the chicken and discard the marinade. Thread the pieces of chicken, mushrooms, bell pepper, and cherry tomatoes on the skewers. Lightly spray all sides with cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the broth and sun-dried tomatoes to a boil over high heat. Stir in the rice. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes. While the rice cooks, grill the kebabs for 2 to 3 minutes on each side (8 to 12 minutes total), or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the veggies are tender.
- Remove rice from stove and let stand for about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Serve kebabs with the rice on the side.
Nutrition Information Per Serving:
Calories: 213; Total fat: 6g; Saturated fat: 1g; Sodium: 368mg; Cholesterol: 65mg; Total carbs: 17g; Fiber: 3g; Sugars: 5g; Protein: 27g; Potassium: 488mg
Content is brought to you by the American Heart Association. Proprietary content and tools licensed by the American Heart Association. The information in the content and tools are not intended as a medical diagnosis or treatment, or as a substitution for regular medical advice from your healthcare provider.