Welcome to your Portions Challenge! Your mission is to measure your portions in a meal. Try this at least once a day for 5 days.
You’ve got great things to look forward to! Keeping your portions in healthy amounts can help you:
- lose weight and/or maintain a healthy weight
- keep your blood sugar levels in range
- prevent overeating and feeling too full
- save money by staying satisfied with less food
Use Your Hands
You don’t need any fancy equipment to measure your portions. It’s as simple as using your hands! Maybe you ate:
- a fist-sized apple
- a handful of almonds
- a finger’s worth of cream cheese
- a palm-sized chicken breast
- a portion of carrots the size of your whole hand, fingers and all
- a meal the size of both hands put together
What are the ideal portion sizes for your everyday foods?
- Try to keep your carbs (like fruits, whole grains, dairy, and starchy veggies) to the size of your fist.
- A no-fingers palm-sized portion of lean protein (such as chicken or fish) is plenty.
- Non-starchy veggies like spinach or broccoli can take up the size of your whole hand, fingers and all.
Enjoy your usual foods! Use this trick to help keep those food choices in line with your health goals.
And keep checking in each day for more tips and information. You’ll learn how to keep portions in check, manage cravings for more food, and even how to navigate “food pushers.”