You’ve come to your Deep Breathing Challenge! Your mission is to use a tried-and-true tactic to relieve your stress: practice deep breathing. Try this at least once a day for 5 days.
Why Deep Breathing?
Managing your stress can help keep your blood sugar levels on track. And while it may seem a little “out there” at first, deep breathing can really help you manage that stress. It’s clinically proven to help relax your mind and body in a healthy, natural way.
By practicing deep breathing for several moments, you tell your body in its own language that there’s nothing to worry about.
Give It a Try
Don’t know where to start? Feeling skeptical? Don’t sweat it. There’s a simple and effective way to practice deep breathing. We call it 4x4 breathing.
First, let’s experiment. No matter where you are, take this moment to focus on your breath. If you can, sit down and close your eyes.
- Slowly count to 4 as you breathe in, filling your lungs with air.
- While you breathe in, expand your belly. Imagine the air filling your stomach. This step activates the vagus nerve in your diaphragm, calming your body from the inside out.
- Hold your breath for another 4 counts.
- Then release the air over another 4 counts, exhaling just as slowly as you inhaled.
- Try this for several rounds of breath.
Keep It Going
Now you know how to do it. But your challenge has only just begun! Keep practicing 4x4 breathing at least once a day for 5 days. And tune in each day for more content to teach you about the soothing ins and outs of deep breathing.