It’s easy for a day to fly by. Before you know it, you’re getting home from work trying to decide what to cut from your to-do list before bedtime. Do you have time to work out? To cook a healthy meal? To relax?
Keep your sleep time sacred. Avoid cutting into your ZZZs by managing your schedule in a way that makes it easier to get a good night’s rest. Here’s a countdown so you can count more sheep!
- Set your bedtime. Plan to be in bed 7 to 9 hours before you need to wake up so you can get a full night’s rest.
6 Hours Before Bed
- Avoid caffeine after this point in the evening. And if you’re super sensitive to caffeine, it may need to be even earlier than 6 hours before bedtime.
4 Hours Before Bed
- It’s good to stay active and tire your body the natural way! But if exercising late has impacted your sleep in the past, try giving your body 4 hours to wind down from those endorphins.
1-2 Hours Before Bed
- Turn off devices with screens. TVs, phones, laptops, and tablets all emit light that can keep your brain active. Spend this time before bed washing up, chatting with a loved one, journaling, meditating, or reading. If you have an e-reader, be sure to use a display filter that cuts out blue light.
- It’s normal for our thoughts to race when we’re getting ready for bed. If you experience this, practice mindfulness as you fall asleep. Focus your attention on your breath. Breathe deeply and slowly. When thoughts pop up, simply acknowledge them and let them float away like clouds in the night sky. This will help clear your mind so you can drift soundly to sleep.