A blood pressure reading is most accurate when you do the following things:
- Rest for at least 30 minutes before monitoring.
- Take your blood pressure around the same time each day.
- Uncross your legs and keep your feet flat on the floor.
- Sit still during the reading. Try not to talk, eat, or make sudden movements.
- Wait at least 30 minutes after drinking a caffeinated beverage, exercising, or smoking before taking your blood pressure.
- Be sure the cuff is placed on your bare upper arm, just above your elbow.
- Be sure your arm is rested on a table in front of you with your palm facing up.