Many members have asked why we don’t track calories through our app or website. This is no mistake! At Livongo, we believe in calorie awareness, not calorie counting. Calorie awareness means being conscious of your food choices.
Isn’t calorie counting important?
Tracking calories is a lot of work. But it often doesn’t lead to better outcomes! It also keeps us disconnected from our hunger cues. Counting calories can be helpful at times. However, calorie awareness is a better strategy for long-term success.
What tools can I use to become more calorie aware?
- Balanced Plate: Use a 9-inch plate. Fill it with 50% non-starchy veggies, 25% carbs, and 25% protein. Use it anywhere!
- Portion Control: Use your hands to eyeball how much to eat. No measuring cups needed!
- Protein and Produce Snacks: Eating regularly can prevent overeating. Use protein and produce snacks to help bridge the gap between meals.
- Moderation with treats: Treats can be a part of a healthy lifestyle. Just keep them in balance!
- Practice mindful eating: Pay attention to the taste and texture of the foods you are eating. Notice your surroundings. This focus can help bring pleasure and satisfaction.
What is the biggest takeaway?
Calorie counting can be a lot of work and a lot of stress. For many, it’s not even helpful. Calorie awareness is more sustainable and useful over the long run.
But what if I still want to count my calories?
Maybe you want to use calorie counting as a check-in. Or, it helps you to use it daily. We encourage you to use the tools that best support you and your goals. Here are some websites/apps* our members enjoy using:
*Note: These websites/apps do not connect to our system for us to view your food logs.