To check your Livongo meter with control solution, follow the same procedure as you would to check your blood sugar. The Livongo meter will automatically detect that it is Control Solution and display so on your screen.
- Insert a test strip into the meter. When you insert a strip in the meter, it will wake up the meter and indicate that it is checking the test strip.
- Shake the control solution bottle. Discard one drop before use. Squeeze the second drop of control solution onto a clean, hard, dry surface, like the top of the cap of the control solution bottle.
- Pick up the meter with the strip inserted and touch the strip to the drop of control solution.
- The control result is available on-screen in 5 seconds.
- The result is automatically stored into the device’s memory and is marked in your blood sugar log as a control sample. Should you use your my.livongo.com account, your controls will be clearly separate and marked within your blood sugar logbooks.
NOTE: If the strip is removed before you start, the screen will go blank. If a control is not performed within 2 minutes of inserting the strip, the screen will go blank. To check, remove and replace the strip, starting from Step 1.
Out-of-range results may be caused by the following:
- An error may have occurred when performing the control solution test. Try another test and remember to follow the instructions carefully.
- The control solution may have expired or may have been contaminated. Check the expiration date on the control solution vial. Control solution is only good for 6 months after opening. Make sure the control solution vial is closed when not in use.
- The strip may have expired. Check the expiration date on the test strip vial.
- The test strip may have been damaged. This can be caused by extreme temperatures or by leaving the test strip vial cap open. Try another test using a new test strip.
- There may be a meter malfunction.
- Use only Livongo control solution with Livongo test strips. Other brands of control solution or test strips will produce inaccurate results.
- Always check the expiration date of the vials of control solution. Do not use expired control solution.
- You can store the control solution closed and at room temperature at relative humidity between 10-90%. Do not freeze.
- Never touch the tip of the control solution bottle to the test strip; this will contaminate the remaining solution in the bottle.
NOTE: If the control solution test result is outside the range (is either higher or lower), your meter and test strip may not be working together properly. Repeat the process using a new test strip.
WARNING: Do not use the meter for medical purposes until your control solution test results fall within the range marked on the test strip vials.